Hasty reaction

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Hasty reaction

Post by theox »

There has been talk on here and other forums with people saying that they arent going to come to so many/any games next season. Surely this is an overreaction. If we have a good start to the season then they will all get the bug again and come flooding back.

This isnt a 'im a better supporter than you' thread but more of a plea. The club is now in a serious financial pickle with the harsher wage cap rules now that we are part of the Conference furniture. The more season tickets sold and the more bums on seats the better.

Don't give up the U's now - you'd kick yourself if you've sat through all these seasons of misery and then missed a Championship win.

Down but not out - COME ON YOU YELLOWS!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

But the reality of the situation is that there are only a certain amount of &quothardcore&quot fans who will act as patrons for the club. Football is seen by most as entertainment and as such they will only have a small part of their deposable income to spend on &quotentertainment&quot. If you are not getting any pleasure from watching your chosen team play, then you are entitled to spend your money on books / films / art / other sports as you see fit.

Personally, I have been to every away game this season but will NOT be doing that again next season as, quite frankly, I do have better things to do with my Tuesday evening than stand on an open terrace in the rain, in Southport. However, this shall not detract from my undying support for the club and I will certainly be visiting the new grounds in the league next season (and Boston).
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Absolutely, people can spend their money on anything they choose and I, for one, would not dare to suggest otherwise. I just hope that people do continue to come for the financial reasons if nothing else. It would be gutting if we only had grounds of 2-3000 for games next year.

For my part, I have never seen watching Oxford as 'entertainment'. Partly because most of the time its bloody torture but mostly because its what ive always done and on the rare occasions when i do miss a match i spend the whole day wishing i was there. I guess you could call it an addiction!!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

“Don't give up the U's now - you'd kick yourself if you've sat through all these seasons of misery and then missed a Championship win.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

Nice... defo going there!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

[quote=&quotSnake&quot]“Don't give up the U's now - you'd kick yourself if you've sat through all these seasons of misery and then missed a Championship win.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

GY's financial analysis was scary.

Personally I have enjoyed the away trips this season. Maybe it was because it was nice being 'the big club'. I remember lots of laughter at daft places like Grays, Stafford and St Albans.

And I missed a few like Gravesend, Stevenage and Crawley, so can look forward to them next year.

Lenaghan faces a double edge sword, to keep attendances high he will need to sign some 'names', like Gilly. Problem is they cost alot and are not what the club needs.

Which players have you seen this season you would like us to sign? Exeter's left back for starters.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Any left back under the age of 50 would be good!!!! :wink:

To be honest, there arent many players ive seen that i liked. the only ones that have impressed have moved on to league clubs or are likely to do so over the summer eg. McClean, Benson, Morrison, Donladson. Admittedly these are all front men but i do feel that has been our main downfall this year. the constant wasting of the relatively few chances we did create.

Decent wide men like Elam would be a bonus to.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Which players have you seen this season you would like us to sign? Exeter's left back for starters.
Mackie as well - absolutely roasted Day last night when he came on. How I long for a proper winger. Hutchinsons' brother (clearly the deeper end of the footballing gene pool in their family) from Woking. McDonald from Gravesebb Northfleet United. Danny Rose. Michael Corcoran. Luke Foster.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I quite liked the look of the fantastically named Emanuel Panther at York.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:I quite liked the look of the fantastically named Emanuel Panther at York.
Yes - particularly when he broke Luke Foster's leg - and indirectly buggered up our promotion chances....
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotResurrection OxYes - particularly when he broke Luke Foster's leg - and indirectly buggered up our promotion chances....[/quote]

Did he??
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: Personally, I have been to every away game this season but will NOT be doing that again next season as, quite frankly, I do have better things to do with my Tuesday evening than stand on an open terrace in the rain, in Southport. However, this shall not detract from my undying support for the club and I will certainly be visiting the new grounds in the league next season (and Boston).
Away attendance (unless in a cup) puts no money whatsoever in our coffers. Its home support that is important. The club wouldn't dare put prices up now - would they??
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: Personally, I have been to every away game this season but will NOT be doing that again next season as, quite frankly, I do have better things to do with my Tuesday evening than stand on an open terrace in the rain, in Southport. However, this shall not detract from my undying support for the club and I will certainly be visiting the new grounds in the league next season (and Boston).
Away attendance (unless in a cup) puts no money whatsoever in our coffers. Its home support that is important. The club wouldn't dare put prices up now - would they??
They'll need to put the prices up to keep the debt as low as possible and to fund our 5 year plan to get to the Championship! :P 3 promotions in the next 5 years - can't wait as it MIGHT cancel out some of the hurt from last night and the last 7 to 8 years.

Still can't believe it - although I am now feeling very bored with it all. Same old, same old. A lot of huff and puff followed by failure, year in year out. OUFC say great fans - thanks for the support, but don't deliver anything.

Glad theres a few weeks before those ST applications arrive as it could easily end up in the bin otherwise. Yes, I'll probably get one, but it will be because I always do - not without any real belief. If we have gone &quotballs out&quot (something like that ?) for promotion this year, I cannot see it being easy next season.

Bored.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

That's the problem - &quotBalls out&quot - big money on salaries (for this level) and we still couldn't deliver when the pressure was on. Too many oldies on the way down on big dosh &amp not enough hungry youngsters on the way up ??
Money does not = success (although it could help if spent wisely). D&ampR's budget was what compared with ours?