Midson and Clist off?

Anything yellow and blue
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re: Wilder's the problem

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:He should go asap. as far as I'm concered.
Some people have such short memories.

Before Wilder, we had 12 different managers (twelve!) in ten years. We changed manager whenever things started going wrong, and this caused us to slide down the leagues, and out of the league, and finally languishing in the lower reaches of the Conference.

We've got the first period of managerial stablility we've had for ages, and the club is finally heading upwards again. And people want to change the manager! You really want your head examined, Tabbernackle.
To be fair, I think this Tabbernackle chap is at best a wind-up merchant and at worst an idiot.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:When will people wake up to that fact? He thinks that everything is broke bar him. He should go asap. as far as I'm concered.
Didn't know you could get internet access in a padded cell.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

From the Ox Mail - &quotExplaining the reasons behind his decision to make the quartet available, Wilder said: “I assess our players all the time, and I just feel we need to up our quality in places.

“Jack and Simon have both played a part in getting us to where we are.

“Clisty was one of my first signings and has done well for us. But I’m looking to make a change in that position.

“I want to help the lads out in that respect as well. No doubt Simon and Jack will both get clubs in the summer, and this maybe helps to give them a head start instead of being in that pot of 800 at the end of the season.

“I’ve had no problems with any of the lads. And with the two players under contract, it’s pretty straightforward really. Both want to play football, but if we want to kick on, I need to bring in a bit more experience and quality.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

One of the things that I particularly like about CW is that when he makes a mistake he manages to do something about it quite quickly.

So no Hutchinson errors. If he wants to ship players out he tends to do so quite quickly.

Agree wih earlier post. Creighton was shipped out quickly when it was realised that he wouldn't make it at this level. KT I think has gone on record as suggesting that the league is actually better than had been anticipated. So things have had to be changed.

Personally I think that Kinni is a good player and has a lot of potential. For me losing Bulman was more of an issue than Clist. But even reading this threat it seems that everybody has different views and their own favourites.

So he has let some fringe players go in order to up the quality. If this works it can't be a bad thing
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I always had a suspicion those who said there was little difference between Divisions V and IV were talking rubbish. There may be little difference between the quality at the top of Division V and the bottom of IV, but we do not want to be down there. At the level where we are now - and especially at the level we want to be (ie where Chesterfield are) - the gap in quality and the demands on consistency are sooo different. To finish roughly in the second quartile is good progress. Glad to see that, given the young age of many in our squad, CW is looking to bring in some players with a bit more experience.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotTabbernackle&quot wrote:He should go asap. as far as I'm concered.
Some people have such short memories.

Before Wilder, we had 12 different managers (twelve!) in ten years. We changed manager whenever things started going wrong, and this caused us to slide down the leagues, and out of the league, and finally languishing in the lower reaches of the Conference.

We've got the first period of managerial stablility we've had for ages, and the club is finally heading upwards again. And people want to change the manager! You really want your head examined, Tabbernackle.

This is pretty much exactly my opinion on the subject. Wilder has finally brought a bit of stability to the ship.

For those calling for his replacement. Who with? Do you really want to start that song and dance routine again?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Ludicrous to wish for Wilder to go.

I would agree with the general sentiments. Home to Bury in August made it apparent there was a real step up - we didn't play badly, and lost to a better side.

Like a number of people, it is actually the judgment about Clist as an individual, rather than the overall policy, which disappoints me. But perhaps, as with Bulman, it is partly age-related: player is getting on a bit, if not past their best, and CW thinks it is not worth offering another 2/3 year contract. If so, then the player would probably not want a one-year extension, so moving on becomes the better option.

Also, for me, a lot depends on how these decisions are made and communicated. If judgments are shared with players before they are publicised, and if the club genuinely helps them to find another club, then this is not only decent, but good business.
OUFanatic
Toddler

Post by OUFanatic »

Agreed its ridiculous for Wilder to go

But i do think that when mistakes are made there are lessons to be learnt and i dont think he has.

eg tinkering around last year COULD have cost us promotion......tinkering this year COULD cost us a higher place in the League, even an auto or play off place.

As ive said previously sometimes i get the feeling he believes his own press and that he's bigger than the club..................and im sure he revels in the &quotLord Wilder&quot tag...( i wish we had bever started that).

Humility never hurt Shankly or Paisley so it wouldnt hurt him once and a while
witney dave
Embryo

Post by witney dave »

I agree with the vast majority, there is no need to even consider letting Wilder go. He has brought with Kelvin stability to the club. He does swap and change a bit too much for me and you can never guarantee that any player he signs mid season on loan or otherwise, is any better than what we had already. He has let Midson go and brought in a twenty year old, but will the lad ever get on the pitch. If we are to make a push in the final games, we need a proven goalscorer. Anyway, Kelvin has to OK every signing, so he must be happy the way Wilder operates.
witney dave
OUFanatic
Toddler

Post by OUFanatic »

Hate to say it but tonight Stevenage move up to 5th.......Their team is based on that consistency we speak of.
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Re:

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

&quotOUFanatic&quot wrote:Hate to say it but tonight Stevenage move up to 5th.......Their team is based on that consistency we speak of.
Good luck to them. I just hope we never have to resort to that style of football and those dirty tactics to do it ourselves.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Not always sure of the benefit of the comparison with 1 team, but the Stevenage &quotlook at how well they've done with a settled side of mostly Conference players&quot argument is an interesting one. I think too many have been swayed by our home defeat last tuesday.

Last season, over 44 games, Stevenage were 13 points better than us. 0.3 pts/game
This season so far, over 38 games, Stevenage are 4 points better than us. 0.1 pts/game. Stevenage actually kicked on a bit this year once they signed some league players in January.

So I think it's fair to say we've actually closed the gap. Therefore arguably justifying Wilders' &quottinkering&quot.

As just abotu everyone has says - by any stretch of the imagination I think it's unreasonable to suggest Wilder has done a bad job and needs to be sacked. YF Dan - are there any of our managers you've rated? I could be wrong but I think you liked Darren &quothonest bunch o'lads&quot Patterson until he turned out to be particularly useless.

As for Wilders tinkering, he possibly does overdo it but there is always a certain logic to his decisions (even if people don't agree with the logic). This season of the ones he's got rid of I think we've possibly missed Bulman and Creighton. Not all the time but periodically we could have done with Bulman's harrying and Creightons beefiness.

The way we play though needs a holding midfielder who can pass (McLaren or Chapman/Murray last year - don't think Wilder ever thought this was a role for Bulman) and 2 attacking midfielders. It looks like Bulman wasn't thought to be good enough going forward and now Wilder has come to the same opinion about Clist. I'm pretty sure Wilder would have been happy to have them both on the bench but given their age/contract situation the players themselves probably weren't as happy. I dunno, it's not always as straightforward as it might appear.