The Pink Ox

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A written response from Firoka - who was the author ?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:A written response from Firoka - who was the author ?
One of the major influences behind the Firoka empire and someone who knows much more about art than FK does. And by coincidence she also knows even more than he does about how to make money, and that’s saying something...

My inbox contains nothing back from Kelvin on the issue (honest), and I know that I can’t ask Martin B. for his views for obvious reasons as he’d need to clear any reply with WPL before putting anything in writing. A shame that Chris Williams is not with Us anymore because this is an in your face media opportunity.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:A written response from Firoka - who was the author ?
One of the major influences behind the Firoka empire and someone who knows much more about art than FK does. And by coincidence she also knows even more than he does about how to make money, and that’s saying something...

My inbox contains nothing back from Kelvin on the issue (honest), and I know that I can’t ask Martin B. for his views for obvious reasons as he’d need to clear any reply with WPL before putting anything in writing. A shame that Chris Williams is not with Us anymore because this is an in your face media opportunity.
I don't see how it can really get any greater coverage than it already has done.

I mean, if it was a Banksy or something, then fine. But someone has vandalised a statue of a Bull at a football ground to try and make a point about either access to their kids or art funding being pulled. Big deal.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

I really do not understand how media/P.R. people work out that 'X' amount of news coverage is worth '£Y' in terms of free advertising.

Is this actually going to result in one single individual deciding to come to watch a game/purchase a shirt/sponsor a match?

It sounds like 'Emperors New Clothes, P.R. speak, media Mumbo-Jumbo'..........or 'MARKETING' as I believe they like to call it.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

........And why did nobody attempt to clean it off as soon as it was spotted. Surely the longer it has to dry the more difficult it will be to remove?
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Yup, 2 groups have claimed it.

Fathers for Justice, well...&quotnew fathers for justice&quot anyway...sounds a bit Life of Brian to me.

and

an Art group that's had their funding removed.

Anywhoo.

Running some quick fag packet stats.... the media coverage Oxford United have gained today on Facebook, Twitter and worldwide news is, if you were an marketeer wishing to get that coverage close to £20k in value.....So in today's newmejia world....not bad at all.

Oh and I nicked your Sw****n joke for my FB status too.
Spot on, Swiss. I’ve already mailed Kelvin yesterday about a whole range of wacky ideas to exploit this episode to our benefit, but no reply yet (though I did get a written response from Firoka). Let’s face it, for now we’re just a League II club and any news is good news...

Of course, if the change to our expensive off-the-peg garden ornament is due to anyone connected to Wiltshire then that’s a different matter, but until that is proven then I think the more impulsive members of our support should keep their powder (and paint brushes) dry.

Bowlocks. It's criminal damage, whoever has done it.

Make the perpetrators watch every Oxford United game home and away for the rest of their lives ...while eating Stadco cuisine, that would be a punishment and a half....
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

&quotEyeball value&quot is quite a simple value to work out. Appols if this is dul.....

Online advertising costs you either as a blanket charge by website, or by click from a website to another website or by a page impression which is someone seeing a phrase, word or image.

For example to advertise with a image on 50% of the PTV Football League websites for 24 hours is going to cost you roughly £5k. However no one clicks on banner advertising anymore. What advertisers are really after is personal recommendations from social networking site like Twitter or Facebook. So some who has 100 followers or friends has an actual value. Yesterday pink bull got over 500 tweets to over 50,000 people.

Add into this the value of money can't buy activity like the story on the BBC news site then you can get a good idea of value. Companies would spend £15k to a PR agency to get them into the press via a quirky story for 24 hours.

As for actual value to the club, then I can see that in Football Manager 2011 there was a clear % increase in people choosing to manage Oxford United yesterday!!!. I guarantee more players chose Oxford in FIFA yesterday too.

People that have never been to the Stadium are now a little bit more aware of the club and away fans for example may now choose to visit just because Oxford has swished around in their mind.
wightyellow
Puberty

Post by wightyellow »

CANCER SUPPORT - OFFICIAL SITE

There have been times in the past when I really wondered why I care about OUFC so much, but making the best of the PINK OX by getting Breast Cancer Awareness support is a master stroke and has made me proud.

Well done KT, and whoever came up with the idea. Brilliant.
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Totally superb. Well done the club. Outstanding
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Roo »

&quotwightyellow&quot wrote:CANCER SUPPORT - OFFICIAL SITE

There have been times in the past when I really wondered why I care about OUFC so much, but making the best of the PINK OX by getting Breast Cancer Awareness support is a master stroke and has made me proud.

Well done KT, and whoever came up with the idea. Brilliant.
GENUINE GENIUS!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Brilliant bit of lateral thinking. The new Comms Manager is earning his corn already
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:Brilliant bit of lateral thinking. The new Comms Manager is earning his corn already
Yes, well done to the club in getting that organised in time, given that I only suggested it on Sunday, along with a list of other wacky ideas of what to do with it.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:&quotEyeball value&quot is quite a simple value to work out. Appols if this is dul.....

Online advertising costs you either as a blanket charge by website, or by click from a website to another website or by a page impression which is someone seeing a phrase, word or image.

For example to advertise with a image on 50% of the PTV Football League websites for 24 hours is going to cost you roughly £5k. However no one clicks on banner advertising anymore. What advertisers are really after is personal recommendations from social networking site like Twitter or Facebook. So some who has 100 followers or friends has an actual value. Yesterday pink bull got over 500 tweets to over 50,000 people.

Add into this the value of money can't buy activity like the story on the BBC news site then you can get a good idea of value. Companies would spend £15k to a PR agency to get them into the press via a quirky story for 24 hours.

As for actual value to the club, then I can see that in Football Manager 2011 there was a clear % increase in people choosing to manage Oxford United yesterday!!!. I guarantee more players chose Oxford in FIFA yesterday too.

People that have never been to the Stadium are now a little bit more aware of the club and away fans for example may now choose to visit just because Oxford has swished around in their mind.
There's a big difference between a commercial company and a football club though.

The vast majority of football fans are already brand aware and brand loyal. Those seeking airtime are generally seeking to increase their branding at the expense of others.

I agree with Sackcloth. It is vandalism pure and simple.

However, the idea for the breat cancer awareness is fantastic, no matter whose idea it was.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:Brilliant bit of lateral thinking. The new Comms Manager is earning his corn already
Yes, well done to the club in getting that organised in time, given that I only suggested it on Sunday, along with a list of other wacky ideas of what to do with it.
You did - although, to be fair to the club, they have presumably spent some of this time contacting Against Breast Cancer to set everything up. Still, great idea Snake, and great decision OUFC.
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Swissbloke »

&quotThere's a big difference between a commercial company and a football club though&quot

I'd argue that in Oxford's case with thousands of passing students and tourists, that it is possible to increase attendances through PR like this.

Reading have also shown how you can increase the fan base through marketing and PR.