Squad Status

Anything yellow and blue
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I see Crawley have signed Guy Madjo from Stafford.

He caught my eye when we played them. Looked like a player who with the right kind of fitness training would improve dramatically, just like Yemi.
Steppers
Brat

Post by Steppers »

Possibly 3 players tomorrow with Jim returning, one being Twigg. Maybe coco and then probably a bigger name!

For me I am strugging to see who else we need with the current squad, assuming Jim is sticking with 5-3-2 the the only position we are short is left wing back. Assuming Twigg is a creative midfielder!

Obviously, if Burgess goes then he would need replacing and I would love to see a couple of wingers signed so when we have a dodgy patch wwe can chage things. Also, one can only hope either Robinson has been training all summer or he goes.

Heres to some action this week!!!
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I see Crawley have signed Guy Madjo from Stafford.

He caught my eye when we played them. Looked like a player who with the right kind of fitness training would improve dramatically, just like Yemi.
Hi Dave. Hope you've had a good summer. Taxis must be in demand in this weather.

Madjo is v ordinary. Conference fiodder. Nothing special..
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:Madjo is v ordinary. Conference fiodder. Nothing special..
We're also very ordinary and nothing special these days or hadn't you noticed?

The wages cap means that even if we still really are a &quotbig club&quot we have almost no noticeable advantage in the transfer market - we can't pay much more than anybody else and it costs more to live in and around Oxford than almost anywhere else in Conference land.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

One advantage might be the ability to maintain a larger squad?
entirely disenchanted
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotMally&quot wrote: it costs more to live in and around Oxford than almost anywhere else in Conference land.
I think that's over-egging the pudding. I don't think it's any more expensive to live within easy commutable distance of Oxford than it is for Aldershot, Crawley, Woking, Gravesend, Forest Green, etc etc.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:Madjo is v ordinary. Conference fiodder. Nothing special..

The wages cap means that even if we still really are a &quotbig club&quot we have almost no noticeable advantage in the transfer market - we can't pay much more than anybody else and it costs more to live in and around Oxford than almost anywhere else in Conference land.
Great. Let's have an argument about how ordinary we are.

Madjo could not hit a cow's arse with Andy Scott's banjo.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Andy Scott has never had a banjo. He's more of a ukelele man.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: it costs more to live in and around Oxford than almost anywhere else in Conference land.
I think that's over-egging the pudding. I don't think it's any more expensive to live within easy commutable distance of Oxford than it is for Aldershot, Crawley, Woking, Gravesend, Forest Green, etc etc.
Woking and Crawley perhaps but have you been to Aldershot, Gravesend or South Gloucestershire?

Average house price (Land Registry April '07):

Oxon - £241,500
Glos - £191,000
Hants - £218,000
Kent - £197,000
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:

Great. Let's have an argument about how ordinary we are.

Madjo could not hit a cow's arse with Andy Scott's banjo.
12 strikes on the cows arse last year in a very poor team.

Seriously I remember him causing trouble in the first half and fading badly in the second during both games.
yellowportly
Brat

Re:

Post by yellowportly »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I see Crawley have signed Guy Madjo from Stafford.
I wonder if he has a brother called Jody ?

I think Simon and Garfunkel paid tribute to him in one of their songs
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
Woking and Crawley perhaps but have you been to Aldershot, Gravesend or South Gloucestershire?

Oxon - £241,500
Glos - £191,000
Hants - £218,000
Kent - £197,000
Agree with Mally, Aldershot and Gravesend are both dumping grounds housing wise (I've no idea about Sth Glocs) and are not even near the level of Oxford. But then I suppose any footballer with any sense (if such a beast exists) wouldn't choose to live in a place like Aldershot with Godalming ( :D ) and plenty of stunningly beautiful Surrey and Hampshire villages within 20 miles.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Hmm

Not convinced that many footballers buy properties until they 'retire' from the professional game given the transitory nature of their work. Renting is more their bag and I can't believe that digs in many of the surrounding towns (Witney, Bicester etc.) would be much more expensive than elsewhere in the South.

The filthy, frozen North is of course a different matter.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:I think that's over-egging the pudding. I don't think it's any more expensive to live within easy commutable distance of Oxford than it is for Aldershot, Crawley, Woking, Gravesend, Forest Green, etc etc.

Oxon - £241,500
Glos - £191,000
Hants - £218,000
Kent - £197,000
Agree with Mally, Aldershot and Gravesend are both dumping grounds housing wise (I've no idea about Sth Glocs) and are not even near the level of Oxford. But then I suppose any footballer with any sense (if such a beast exists) wouldn't choose to live in a place like Aldershot with Godalming ( :D ) and plenty of stunningly beautiful Surrey and Hampshire villages within 20 miles.
But this is exactly my point. If you choose to live in Oxford &quotproper&quot, then it will be more expensive than Aldershot or Gravesend. But once you go 20-30 miles away, the prices are much of a muchness for similar properties.

I'd also wager that the average prices for Oxon are inflated by the significant numbers of £500K|| properties sold in the city - something you're not going to find great concentrations of in the other areas quoted.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I think we've got deep enough into the details of the property market but its a well known fact that has been quoted by a string of ex managers that getting players to come to Oxford is hampered by the property costs here compared to the vast majority of the rest of the country. On the sort of money that Conference and League 2 players get these days this is a real issue.

Anyway the fundemental point remains that however big a club we think we are it has very little impact on our buying power when it comes to players.