Players coming in

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Players coming in

Post by Mooro »

Big summer ahead for Jimbo I reckon.

If he can bring in more ‘finds’ such as Luke Foster &amp Matt Day (and Duffy, for that matter), then we should be looking OK, likewise if he can pick up some decent young loanees from up the ladder such as Rose &amp Corcoran.
However, if he brings in another batch of old-timers en route to retirement (Brevitt etc), then we could find ourselves in the same boat come the end of next season.

For my money, I would be looking around the Conference for those people wanting to step up the table and play for the chance to get into the FL proper. OK, some will want to make the leap up directly or stay put, but there will be some who might see us as the next step.

A number of the top strikers last season are already spoken for, with Donaldson going to Scotland from York and the guy from Gravesend having had offers from a number of league clubs, but one that might fit that bill is John Grant at Aldershot, who I haven’t yet seen linked with anywhere else and who was one of the top scorers last season (and wasn’t the penalty taker either), and with more changes there might want to move.

Another one to consider might be Kevin Nicholson, left back at Forest Green, who has had rave reviews and was one of those playing for the National XI this weekend (along with Burgess).
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Players coming in

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:but one that might fit that bill is John Grant at Aldershot, who I haven’t yet seen linked with anywhere else and who was one of the top scorers last season
Don't you remember what happened last time we signed Aldershot's top scorer? I wonder where Tim Sills is now...
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I wonder where Tim Sills is now...
He's playing in the football league. A division above United.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

He has a fairly amusing Wikipedia entry.
entirely disenchanted
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I wonder where Tim Sills is now...
He's playing in the football league. A division above United.
Not sure that he has played much Boris and apparently has been booed by his own fans.
Mark G
Puberty

Post by Mark G »

I believe John Grant has just signed a new 2 yr contract with Aldershot.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Didn't Jim &quotdsicover&quot L. Foster when his dad wrote Jim a letter? I remember Jim saying on RadOx that he took him in bacause he was from the same area as Jim originally. Well, if you throw enough shit at a wall...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMark G&quot wrote:I believe John Grant has just signed a new 2 yr contract with Aldershot.
and Nicholson has also done so at FGR, so that blows my ideas out of the water - NEXT.......!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Talking of throwing shit at a wall, it would appear that we are building a squad around that loveable 5-3-2 formation again, doesn't it?

Why else are we stockpiling central defenders?

I will not be buying a season ticket unless we sign full-backs and wingers. If I see the word &quotwing back&quot appear anywhere in relation to one of our signings, that will be it. My hard earned readies will remain firmly in my pocket.

I have learned to put up with all manner of crap over the years, but f'ing wing backs again will be the final straw. The Exeter match highlighted all of its failings brutally. Never again.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

-------------

Not overly impressed with the news that JS thinks that Zebro is the answer to our goal scoring problems either. Yes, he's great at chasing aimless punts forward. No, he will never score 20 goals in a season. Oh dear.

Gloom.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:hard earned.
i thought you worked at the BBC??!!
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:it would appear that we are building a squad around that loveable 5-3-2 formation again, doesn't it?
No, no, no. Not ever that again. Jim has to prove to me that he's learnt from his mistakes last season, and this was one of the biggest. No, no, no absolutely no.
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:I will not be buying a season ticket unless we sign full-backs and wingers. If I see the word &quotwing back&quot appear anywhere in relation to one of our signings, that will be it. My hard earned readies will remain firmly in my pocket.
Yep, understand that sentiment. I'm going to wait as long as possible before committing my funds I want to see what attacking options we have. If it's hoofball again I can't face a whole season of it, so will pick and choose. And particularly no wingers, no ticket. Sorry.

And FFS no more old codgers looking for a last payout before hanging up their boots. If Vickers signs I will lose my rag.

Can we have an age cap (31?) as well as a wage cap please?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

What, like Logan's Run?
entirely disenchanted
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:[ If it's hoofball again I can't face a whole season of it, so will pick and choose. And particularly no wingers, no ticket. Sorry.
We had lots of shortcomings last season but I don't think &quothoofball&quot is an accurate desciption of the way we played / tried to play.

Wing back worry me too. But I suppose if we get the right personnel for the role my opinion would change. Do they exist at our level?

As for the goals - IF (a bif if) we can get the same number out of Duffy, a few more from Yemi and some from Zeb we should at least equal this years distinctly average effort for a team finishing second.

Has everyone given up on Marv - he did score 3 in the last 6 games he played. (Lets ignore all the other games he played for us and Macc earlier in the season)
dr ceri
Brat

Post by dr ceri »

&quotWe had lots of shortcomings last season but I don't think &quothoofball&quot is an accurate desciption of the way we played / tried to play. &quot

Really Baboo? I'll happily concede I didn't see us play as much as you did last season, but I thought, much of the time (notably when we ran out of ideas - i.e. 5 mins in to ever game from December to March) we lumped it aimlessly, compared to who were playing that really surprised me.

Problem being a lack of composure at the back, and yes, you guessed it, the dreaded wing backs who were 'crossing' from pretty much the half way line.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I don't think 'hoofball' is fair in relation to us. In the game at Grenoble Rd, D&ampR were much closer to hoofball than we were. Our distribution from defence was poor, though - more ineptitiude than policy, I think.