who would you play up front tonight?

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

who would you play up front tonight?

Post by recordmeister »

I'd go for Yemi and Duffy, but i fear he'll play Yemi and Marv.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Sounds odd, but I'd play Duffy and Marv, but bring Yemi on for either with a big chunk of game left (like 30 minutes plus)

That's assuming that Jim hasn't forgotten the substitution rules again.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: who would you play up front tonight?

Post by Matt D »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:I'd go for Yemi and Duffy, but i fear he'll play Yemi and Marv.
that would be my choice too - stick with the tried and tested for this one. hopefully after sitting out the last two games, duffy will be keen to get back on the scoresheet again.

zebroski also offers some more pace later in the game.

for the last month or so i've been convinced we'll win this one, and now that there is all but no hope of catching dagenham, my conviction is unassailable. and will remain so until at least 9.30 this evening...
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

I'd have to say to start with Duffy and Zebroski, with Yemi coming on as super-sub when Zeberdy tires. As much as i like Yemi and enjoy watching him play football I feel that Zeberdy is more likely to produce the final product be it a cross or a shot.
Also with his pace, although it might not be quite up with Yemi's he will still show most Conference defenders a clean pair of heals.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Yemi and Zebroski with Duffer on the bench.

From memory, they have big lumbering centre backs who kick it long. A bit of pace is needed to get behind them.

I would also consider Duffer and Zebroski with Yemi wide right.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I would also consider Duffer and Zebroski with Yemi wide right.
That would get my vote
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Duffy and Zebroski with Yemi on the bench and Marvellous in the stand.

If Daggers are going to lump it then there might be a bit of space in midfield, so I'd be tempted to play Burgess tonight just behind the front two as well.

I'd give Yemi 30 minutes to go flat out at them at the end of the game.

Right - off we go. Come on then! :D
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I would also consider Duffer and Zebroski with Yemi wide right.
That would get my vote
The only problem I see with that is dropping Eddie who has come on leaps and bounds since having been on the right and not having to drop back so much to defend. Plus since his goals and the confidence boost that's given he he's been more likely to score in my opinion that Yemi, who too often takes the ball too far when he should have hit is 5 yards earlier.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Well, headless-pnub, we shant mention the text written by you before the game...!! King Yemi for England, I say!!
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Easily the best I've seen Yemi play, and the best game I've seen for ages.

I should also say that I've been critical of Jim the last few weeks, but credit where it's due tonight. I reckon the three midfielders he picked to start the game was the right choice - and so was the decision to bring on Hargreaves and move Burgess into the centre at the start of the second half, after Rose was marked out of the game. It absolutely transformed the game and the pair of them had absolute stormers.

Foster was excellent again - one to hold on to for next season - he, Willmott and Quinn will make a good back three if we are to persist with 5-3-2.

Zebroski looked useful without looking particularly threatening.

I would probably only make one change for Saturday - Corcoran for Gilly. He really has lost any remaining pace and his distribution is consistently shocking. Give Quinny the armband (even after his gaffe this evening). I suspect this won't happen though!

Overall more positives than negatives. Yemi's second goal will be a defining memory of the season. We've got to cut out the silly defending though. Mr Awford.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Well, headless-pnub, we shant mention the text written by you before the game...!! King Yemi for England, I say!!
I hold my hand up and am delighted to have been proved wrong by Yemi. I do think that was the best Yemi has played all season and glad to see him get credit for it from Jim and SKY.

If he can play like that every week then Mr Duff will be religated to the bench. (Interesting to hear the fickle fans in the OM last night shouting &quotget F**king Duffy on&quot. How many times this season we've heard the opposite.

Do think Jim deserves a lot of credit for the turnaround last night. He's been doubted by many over recent months, but whatever he said in the dressing room, combined with the changes he made certainly made a difference. Maybe he could bottle it and give it out before each remaining game.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I watched this on the tv, I didn't think it was as great a game as others have indicated here (I guess this is the atmosphere/live game discussion we had after halifax), the first half was pretty poor, D&ampR looked to be coasting really. The 3-4-3 failed miserably and our midfield was totally swamped. A criticism of Smith could be that he could have changed it in the first half, Burgess never saw the ball wide left, we were almost playing with 10 men.

It was only the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and after Duffy and Robinson came on that we really looked like scoring, along with Hargreaves we finally had some physical presence in the side, after that D&ampR looked very flustered. Thought the late equaliser by D&ampR involved a foul on Quinn, but you could sense the equaliser was coming. Gilchirst had a very good opportunity to clear but just sliced it. We didn't have to best fortune with the decisions, I thought Yemi's third should have stood since Marvin looked onside to me.

Generally though, a positive performance, it was encouraging to come back from a goal down against a pretty decent side and the way we laid seige for 15 minutes in the 2nd half should give the side confidence in similar situations that will doubtless crop up in the remainder of the season.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Can anybody actually say what formation we were playing at the start of the game? I certainly can't! With 3 centre-halfs and, nominally. two wing-backs, it suggested 5-3-2, but Yemi and Burge were clearly playing wide with Zebedee in the middle, so 5-4-1?

Or was it a lopside 5-3-2/4-4-2 amalgum with Burgess doing the left wing-back job?

We were clearly most threatening after Duffy and Smokey came on and able to offer some serious aerial challenge up front. Pity about the semi-panic at the back - there was a sense of inevitability that they would equalise. Not a foul on Quinn in my opinion, just the Daggenham player quicker to the ball as Quinn swung his hoof at it.

Yemi's second must be in contention for goal of the season - shot from that far out on his &quotwrong&quot foot. Genius.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:...credit where it's due tonight. I reckon the three midfielders he picked to start the game was the right choice - and so was the decision to bring on Hargreaves and move Burgess into the centre at the start of the second half, after Rose was marked out of the game. It absolutely transformed the game and the pair of them had absolute stormers.
i agree. i didn't think hargreaves was the right choice, and i've never really rated him. but he changed that game - winning the second balls that dagenham had been taking with ease in the first half.

and odubade - well. not just fleet of foot, but fleet of mind too. i haven't seen the goal again, but as i recall, he had to hit it in that manner to ensure that it wouldn't be cleared en route, and i was convinced the bounce was going to clear the bar.

i was sure we were going to win because of the way i'd seen dagenham rattled by our players and fans before. it may not have been pretty, but i think it was a big factor again.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Gilchirst had a very good opportunity to clear but just sliced it. We didn't have to best fortune with the decisions, I thought Yemi's third should have stood since Marvin looked onside to me.
Actually it was Quinn who had the sliced clearance and then he hesitated when he could have cleared at the second attempt. As for the offside I looked at it when I got home and you can't tell 100% from the camera angle but it did look like he was just offside and he was coming back from an offside position so you can understand why it was flagged.

The first half formation clearly wasn't working last night so I'm surprised that Smith took so long to change it. We were at times playing 5-2-3 with Yemi and Burgess far too wide and out of the game. It also meant that Rose (who had a very poor half) and Pettifer were similarly isolated and outnumbered in midfield. As somebody said at half time - the polo formation.

On the plus side Yemi played out of his skin (and shirt briefly), Johnsone was solid at left back in the second half (most of the time) and Hargreaves worked well with the strikers when he came on.

Have to agree about the Gilly comments from Shoobedoo. When he recieves the ball you just know he's going to hoof it nowhere if under even the slightest pressure. Corcoran however is the sort of player who is much happier on the ball, can create time and space and get a pass away. Anaclet also had a poor game and did very little going forward and missed a lot of tackles - he was partly to blame for their equaliser with an air shot clearance attempt.

Up front Duffy and Robinson seemed to work well together when they came on. Robinson is making steady progress and each game seems to get better but he's still got a long way to go - hard to believe that he's played in the Premiership! Duffy worked hard up until the last 5 minutes when lazy Duffer re-emerged. No excuses as he'd only been on for 15 minutes.

In summary I'd say that Sky got their moneysworth and the game was on balance a good advert for the Conference.