Paul Beasley's Fan's View

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re: Paul Beasley's Fan's View

Post by Isaac »

Ancient Colin wrote:From the other camp, surely it's obvious what's going to happen (again), even to the more optimistic amongst you? It's the (probably falsely attributed) Einstein definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Here's an analogy: riding high under Atkins, with various of us saying that this was a disaster brewing ... and being told "look at the league position, all will be fine". Well it wasn't. And it isn't. I really really really hope I am wrong.
I'm sure that particular collapse was contributed to by our change of manager, not by our refusal to change manager so I'm not sure that's a good example, unless I've misunderstood.
Weren't we third when Atkins was sacked? And finished 9th or something after Rix won 1 game in 9? When 2 wins in 9 would have got us in the playoffs (and Atkins was fairly reliable in pressure situations - see how he kept Torquay up at our expense a couple of seasons later).

Generally I agree though, we have a similar team as usual - solid and hardworking but limited in flair. The same manager and coaching staff, I would expect us to finish the same place we have done for the last few seasons (barring a good run of luck with injuries or a striker hitting a prolonged scoring spell). I would give Wilder the final chance this season, turfing him out or putting him on garden leave when it becomes apparent we're not getting promoted and at that point, start interviewing for someone else.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Snake wrote:More insanity. To get to the promised land of the 3rd round of the FA Cup there is a visit to Wales in the way, let alone the replay.

Yes ,but as you know Snakey, Wrexham are shite. Wilder has a 100% record against these titans of football.

'Ooop the Warriors'!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Isaac wrote:
Ancient Colin wrote:Here's an analogy: riding high under Atkins, with various of us saying that this was a disaster brewing ... and being told "look at the league position, all will be fine". Well it wasn't. And it isn't. I really really really hope I am wrong.
I'm sure that particular collapse was contributed to by our change of manager, not by our refusal to change manager so I'm not sure that's a good example, unless I've misunderstood.
Weren't we third when Atkins was sacked? And finished 9th or something after Rix won 1 game in 9? When 2 wins in 9 would have got us in the playoffs (and Atkins was fairly reliable in pressure situations - see how he kept Torquay up at our expense a couple of seasons later).
At the risk of going over old ground, by the time TwAtkins was sacked we were a busted flush. Teams had worked out how to beat us and our momentum was solidly downwards. If you look at the run of results between THAT game with Hull City (which precipitated the start of the decline) up until TwAtkins' exit, it was awful:

Kidderminster Harriers (home): won 2-1
Leyton Orient (away): lost 1-0
Scunthorpe United (home): won 3-2
Yeovil Town (away): lost 1-0
Bury (home): drew 1-1
Bristol Rovers (away): drew 0-0
York City (home): drew 0-0
Huddersfield Town (home): lost 0-1
Calisle United (away): lost 2-0

I wouldn't argue that our form under Rix was equally poor - but that can be blamed on Rix's inadequacies as much as anything else. TwAtkins was a poor manager who had a decent run with a mediocre side, but he deserved to go on the basis of the results at the end of his tenure and - lest we forget - the dreadful football we played under him.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Jeez Kairdiff and Ancient Colin, don't go slagging off ShAtkins on here. He's afforded the same level of protection as our current Messiah by many on here.

(Although I see many similarities too - stubbornness, defensiveness, always knowing best, dour, flying in the face of logic team selections, wingerphobia, etc - but would never say it out loud. Doh, I just have - <puts on tin hat and retreats>)
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

YF Dan wrote:Jeez Kairdiff and Ancient Colin, don't go slagging off ShAtkins on here. He's afforded the same level of protection as our current Messiah by many on here.

(Although I see many similarities too - stubbornness, defensiveness, always knowing best, dour, flying in the face of logic team selections, wingerphobia, etc - but would never say it out loud. Doh, I just have - <puts on tin hat and retreats>)
A Little unfair. Wingerphobia? This season we have more often than not played with wingers. Rigg has played in most games as have either Potter or Williams. I would suggest that CW has gone from clearly favouring a 4-3-3 to now mainly favouring a 4-4-2. So the stubbornness flies in the face of those who call him the tinkerman?

There are clearly some issues with the current manager, but for balance he is one of only 4 managers to get us Promoted and we have generally improved from year to year. (Puts tin hat on and retreats)
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: At the risk of going over old ground, by the time TwAtkins was sacked we were a busted flush. Teams had worked out how to beat us and our momentum was solidly downwards. If you look at the run of results between THAT game with Hull City (which precipitated the start of the decline) up until TwAtkins' exit, it was awful:

Kidderminster Harriers (home): won 2-1
Leyton Orient (away): lost 1-0
Scunthorpe United (home): won 3-2
Yeovil Town (away): lost 1-0
Bury (home): drew 1-1
Bristol Rovers (away): drew 0-0
York City (home): drew 0-0
Huddersfield Town (home): lost 0-1
Calisle United (away): lost 2-0

I wouldn't argue that our form under Rix was equally poor - but that can be blamed on Rix's inadequacies as much as anything else. TwAtkins was a poor manager who had a decent run with a mediocre side, but he deserved to go on the basis of the results at the end of his tenure and - lest we forget - the dreadful football we played under him.
Again, a similar run in the last 9 games would have meant playoffs, so we may have been a busted flush, but we probably would have done better than we did after changing the manager. I don't think it can be used as an example of why we should change manager (the opposite in fact). Previous seasons results under Wilder do provide evidence as to why we should change.

Before I get accused again of thinking Wilder or Atkins or anyone is the messiah (this type of yellowsforum labelling nonsense is tedious), I was actually in favour of a manager change at the end of last season but now he's been given this season it makes more sense to me to let him have a proper go for the majority of the season - especially given the history of worse results after manager changes (see Rix). I don't think that's an unreasonable position.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Second in the league and calls for the manager's head. Sums up modern football. Unbelievable.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Isaac wrote:Again, a similar run in the last 9 games would have meant playoffs, so we may have been a busted flush, but we probably would have done better than we did after changing the manager. I don't think it can be used as an example of why we should change manager (the opposite in fact). Previous seasons results under Wilder do provide evidence as to why we should change.
I ought to clarify that I'm making no comment on Wilder - I was simply commenting on the comparison with TwAtkins. FWIW, I think Wilder should (and will) get the rest of the season. He has been told he has to win promotion, and that's a reasonable (and so far realistic) target. He'll be judged on that basis, and so far he is meeting the objective.

I do think there's a point though that we are somewhat lucky to be where we are. That's fine to an extent - lucky managers are worth their weight in gold - but we shouldn't get carried away.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Oh let's not have this Atkins revisionism again. We were NOT third when he was sacked - we had slipped from top at New Year to fifth in mid-March, and the gap between us and 8th had halved to seven points during that period. Rix did nothing to turn the ship around, but it was already well on its way backwards (as it were). We weren't going up under Atkins that year - FACT. Sacking him wasn't a bad decision, but replacing him with a string of no-hopers was.

The similarities between now and then are that we've been in the same division for a few years and not really got close enough to promotion for most fans' liking, blowing some promising positions along the way. So there is now (and was then) a certain mistrust of our ability to stay the pace. But to say that this season is panning out like 2003-04 is premature in the extreme - we are not slipping down the table losing touch with the leaders yet. People may fear that will happen, and they may be proved right, but it is not currently happening. That's why calls for the manager's head now are ridiculous.

One more thing - anyone who complains about CW's post-match interviews have obviously forgotten the torture of listening to Atkins' incomprehensibly mumbled dour banalities. The man was an idiot. Not to mention the fact that we played five at the back every game, and 'enjoyed' the silky skills of Alsop and Louis up front. We've never had it so bad? You've got to be joking.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
One more thing - anyone who complains about CW's post-match interviews have obviously forgotten the torture of listening to Atkins' incomprehensibly mumbled dour banalities. The man was an idiot. Not to mention the fact that we played five at the back every game, and 'enjoyed' the silky skills of Alsop and Louis up front. We've never had it so bad? You've got to be joking.
The complaint about the post match interviews is a bit of a red herring in my view.

Many managers are not good after a defeat or poor performance. Allardyce seems to always blame the referee, Ferguson and Wenger have hardly been sensible in some of their post match ramblings. Actually you would struggle to come up with many managers who are always sensible just after a game.

The negative vibes from many of our supporters (on the internet) is a little depressing. So IL will be aware of that. But as KY said, sacking a manager when we are second in the league and in the FA Cup would be madness. Lose 4 or 5 in a row and things will not be good (what will the supporters view be then?). But win at Mansfield and Gateshead and we could even be top and with a £50k windfall from TV/FA Cup money.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Kernow Yellow wrote: One more thing - anyone who complains about CW's post-match interviews have obviously forgotten the torture of listening to Atkins' incomprehensibly mumbled dour banalities. The man was an idiot. Not to mention the fact that we played five at the back every game, and 'enjoyed' the silky skills of Alsop and Louis up front. We've never had it so bad? You've got to be joking.
I complained about the post match interviews on the other site :P What I put was:

When I listen to his interviews during the week (when the media drop down to Roman Way and Williams does his brilliant YP interviews) I actually really enjoy listening to the manager. He talks sense, I agree with most of it and he refers to many of the deficiencies the crowd have been on his back about.

Yet put a microphone under his nose in the aftermath of a game and more often than not he manages to rile people up - well he did me.

With respect, coming out and taking credit for the back end performance of the second half was plain odd. He only made one calculated substitution as the other two were forced upon him. Telling the world that he should take some credit for deciding to 'go for it' at 2-0 down was cringe-worthy in the extreme. Jeez - does it take being 2-0 and outplayed for someone to decide we should go for it? That sums Chris up for me. Really disappointed with that quote.

As for the other substitutions the enforced introduction of one Josh Ruffels only went some way to reinforce the opinion in and around the club that this lad is one of our better midfielders, if not the best. He played well (as he did against Pompey) and the sooner he manages to get his foot in that first team, the better for Oxford United. Ryan Williams didn't put a thing wrong, a 20 minute MOTM performance.

If a half-fit Whing had been on the bench I suspect he would have come on before Josh. Silver lining being thank god Whing didn't make it on the bench for that to even be contemplated yesterday

I think that is a perfectly reasonable viewpoint. How can he really, unless he either a) a bigger ego than I thought or b) throwing the comment in there to stem the pressure and criticism, take any credit for the come-back and the specific comment he made that at 2-0 down he had to 'go for it'? Why did it take us to be played off the park and on our way out of the cup for Williams to be dragged on?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I wasn't saying I enjoy listening to Wilder's chippy defensiveness. I don't enjoy listening to many football managers - or players, come to that. But do you not remember Atkins' post-match interviews? I know which I'd rather put up with.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I'm not sure that one can be too critical of Wilder's post-match defensiveness - after all, it's very marginal on his job description, and his performances are very much in line with others. What kind of response would please his critics? At least he accepted responsibility on Saturday, and - rightly in my opinion - blamed the players to a large extent. Equally, he did not identify individuals.

In response to BB, I'm sure it was b) which led him to claim credit for 'going for it' - although I think he was trying to say, with only marginally more justification, that he wanted credit for subbing Williams on, and reorganising around that.

I do remember just how awful the Atkins era was - what surprised me looking up a couple of particularly horrendous results on this fair website was how good (in Div 4 terms) the players were on paper: Ashton, Bound, Robinson, Wanless, Whitehead (!), Hackett, Basham.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:
Snake wrote:More insanity. To get to the promised land of the 3rd round of the FA Cup there is a visit to Wales in the way, let alone the replay.
Yes, but as you know Snakey, Wrexham are shite. Wilder has a 100% record against these titans of football.

'Ooop the Warriors'!
Agree, (partly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYiqu0WL0M) and no real excuse why Oxford United shouldn’t be in the bag of 3rd round ties and the potential of a big money spinner. If so I know what I’d like as a dream scenario..
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Snake wrote:
Eric Pollard wrote:
Snake wrote:!
Agree, (partly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjYiqu0WL0M) and no real excuse why Oxford United shouldn’t be in the bag of 3rd round ties and the potential of a big money spinner. If so I know what I’d like as a dream scenario..
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. No excuse but why many of us love football is that nothing ain't that simple. There will be a load of FA Cup shocks without a doubt and let's hope we are not one of them.