Season kicks off for youngsters

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Season kicks off for youngsters

Post by Mooro »

OUFC U18s (ie. the youth team) went to Slumdon on Saturday and came back with a 3-2 win in their first league game - James Roberts scoring twice. http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0012 ... 87085.aspx
OUFC U21s aka The Dev Squad played Birmingham in the first of their season of arranged games, but just lost a close game 1-0.
http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0013 ... 90317.aspx

The U18s play away at Torquay next Saturday, so anyone getting down there early for the first team game could pop along to watch if they so choose - might make a novel morning entertainment? Kick off is 11am, but I am not yet sure where the game is to be played, but I will post it up as soon as I know.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: Season kicks off for youngsters

Post by Paul Cooper »

Good news and hopefully the young guys will get plenty of games.

I am a little surprised that Roberts isn't starting in the Development Squad (I know that he came on as sub). He was in the first team squad a couple of times last season and I thought hat he may be fast tracked a little.

When we get injuries it will be interesting to see who will get a chance.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Paul Cooper wrote:When we get injuries it will be interesting to see who will get a chance.
Positive statement :wink:

A little surprising A Trialist was included. No Williams either.

Would assume match day development squads are going to vary according to other teams schedules. Some weeks there will be a few senior players (e.g. Davies v Didcot). Other weeks youth team players (e.g. Humphreys and Roberts v Birmingham).

Prompt work by the club to get both youth and development squad reports on the website.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

From what I understand, most of the Dev Games are going to be mid-week, just as the reserves used to be. The U18s generally play on Saturday mornings, so in theory there is potential for both senior and U18 players to join the Dev squad for games on a regular basis.

As it stands, the actual devsquad numbers 9 : Crocombe, Marsh; O'dowda, Lynn, Long; Shama, Bevans, Lee, Ruffles, which means that at least two others will need to be found for each game (Williams I think is being considered more as a senior squad player than devsquad).

Take out the above and the senior squad only numbers, what 16 is it?, so assuming that there will always be 1 or 2 injuries, they will all be involved in some part on match day, so it remains to be seen how frequently they are used in the dev games. I think we'll see someone in midfield every so often (Davies, Hall) and perhaps Raynes, Meades and Williams on occasions too, if they haven't started for a while, otherwise it will probably just be those coming back from injury, but not ready to start for the seniors...with the rest made up from the U18s (in itself no bad thing)

Based on last season, I think last night is a pretty good indication of which U18s are more likely to be used, namely Ashby, Humphreys & Roberts, along with maybe Hawtin, Ekpiteta and keepers Hill/Cavenagh if and when Max is on first team duty. There may also be others as the season progresses, particularly if some of the Devsquad lads become permanent fixtures in the first team later in the season, and decision time comes for the club on which 2nd year scholars to keep on after graduation.

Anyway, all good stuff, and good news on the reports on the club site too, long may that continue!!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

U18s draw at Torquay - we were the better of the two sides and had plenty of opportunities to put the game to bed, but were sloppy and let in a late goal to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory. Keeper was on trial from Reading as both Youth keepers (Hill & Cavanagh) are out injured at the moment.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0017 ... 97580.aspx

U21s lost at Bournemouth today - our squad will be up against a number of older and stronger squads this season, though it appears that the game was closer than the result suggests - they scored three times in quick succession in the first half. Second half far more even with Roberts coming on as sub again, this time pulling a goal back for the visitors. Josh Ashby and winger Aiden Hawtin started with Roberts and Greg Hackett coming off the bench. We played a triallist defender with Sam Long and Marvin Ekpiteta both out with injuries.

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0020 ... 04744.aspx

O'Dowda played the full 90 minutes, which may or may not bode well for a first team outing on Saturday
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

It is good to see Roberts scoring.

Maybe I am being a little unfair, but disappointing so far that Ty Marsh is not kicking on. I would hope that he will do well in these games to the extent that he is seriously knocking on the first team door (through excellent performances and scoring goals rather than through injuries in the first team)

I can only see O' Dowda being substitute at best at the weekend.