I wasn't there Jerome...

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

I wasn't there Jerome...

Post by A-Ro »

But that wasn't a sending off.

I have seen many more people that could have been sent off tonight before JC.

I've said it before, refs have it against him. I understand the club is going to appeal. It should win but I bet those twats at the FA stick with the ref.

Idiots.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re: I wasn't there Jerome...

Post by amershamwrighty »

Nasri will get off, and Beano won't.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 0_12_2012/

about 1hr, 10 mins in for OUFC game, certainly worth an appeal...Gillingham one a couple of minutes earlier is clearer, while a Port Vale player seems to have conceded a penalty for a perfectly timed tackle on about 1hr 2mins....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I like the idea of AFC Wimbledon, a trust run club, making their way back in football after their club was moved to Milton Keynes.
But I am getting tired of the bucket shaking at every game. The crap view from the terrace. The stewards who are walking up and down the touchline all through the game. A portacabin with three toilets for the whole of the male away support. I now think they have reached their natural level, bottom half of L2. There are several smaller clubs above them, and a couple of bigger clubs below in the conference.

As for the game, I was glad it was on after all the rain, and thanks for their supporters' efforts. Another sterling performance from the wide players Rigg and Potter, with Constable and Craddock up front. Solid in defence too.
The sending off:
Constable was really wound up by Antwi nudging him off the pitch at full pelt into the advertising hoardings and was lucky not to be injured. He had a mouthful of venom for Antwi, and for the referee. It was obvious his blood was boiling and he would be out for revenge and he should have been subbed. In the very next challenge, the two rise together for the ball, and in my view (which was about five yards away), as Constable's arm went up to steady himself, he added a nudge or elbow in the back to Antwi. Not in the head as would be suggested by Antwi's antics, but probably enough for both referee and linesman to call it violent conduct and a red card offence. The video offence wasn't very clear, but the OUFC management seem clear that there was no violent conduct.

It's probably tip number one in the scouts guide to Oxford United. Rattle their no9 physically because he reacts and will get himself sent off.

Followed by: take long range shots at goal.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

I see Vincent Kompany's red card from Sunday has been overturned.

Hats off to the FA for applying a bit of common sense in favour of plucky, cash-strapped minnows Manchester City.

Oh - wait....
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:I see Vincent Kompany's red card from Sunday has been overturned.

Hats off to the FA for applying a bit of common sense in favour of plucky, cash-strapped minnows Manchester City.Oh - wait....
The size of or financial resources of a club shoud have no bearing on the decision and so I don't see what the term 'plucky, cash-strapped minnows' has to do with the argument. The Match of the Day pundits commented that the red card was ridiculous and the FA appear to agree with them, I do also. In terms of Beano's case, the camera angle that the FA had to review was not a good one and the Assistant Referee backed up the Referee in his judgement that a red card was correct. Whilst we might not like that, you can see why both decisions were made on the evidence available.

The only advantage that Kompany had was a plethora of camera angles which made the review process simpler.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote: The only advantage that Kompany had was a plethora of camera angles which made the review process simpler.
That^
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote: In terms of Beano's case, the camera angle that the FA had to review was not a good one and the Assistant Referee backed up the Referee in his judgement that a red card was correct. Whilst we might not like that, you can see why both decisions were made on the evidence available.

The only advantage that Kompany had was a plethora of camera angles which made the review process simpler.
Exactly. It's a bit like the DRS in cricket - unless there's clear evidence that the original decision was wrong, it doesn't get overturned. From the available footage, I couldn't see what the ref thought Beano had done wrong. But since he obviously thought Beano had done something wrong, the footage was never going to disprove his theory.

I remember a similar thing with Alsop's sending off at Huddersfield a few years back. Do you ever get red cards overturned at this level? Except cases of mistaken identity possibly?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

The lino and ref didn't really help by basically lying it seems though.

The only bit I didn't like was RadOx drew a paralell with the criminal justice system, saying that because Beano had already been sent off and was appealing the burden of proof was now with him. I think that's quite unfair because the ref never had anything close to a burden of proof, he just had to think it happened. If the ref just has to think it's a red card than surely in an appeal if you can show good evidence that the incident may well have been different you should at least get a reduced ban?
amershamwrighty
Puberty

RR has a point - on reflection, I probably shouldn't have exposed the massive chip I have on my shoulder about Premiership Rich Kids.

Beano's ban is nearly over now.

I'll calm down.

Until the next injustice created by some self-important f*ckwitt of a lower-league official rears its head, that is.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:RR has a point - on reflection, I probably shouldn't have exposed the massive chip I have on my shoulder about Premiership Rich Kids.

Beano's ban is nearly over now.

I'll calm down.

Until the next injustice created by some self-important f*ckwitt of a lower-league official rears its head, that is.
I totally get some of what your saying but certainly not all.
Basically what it boils down to for me is this:
I'm jealous of some aspects of being a Premier League club: Being able to visit great grounds watching great football, and being able to see highlights longer than 1 minute fimed from more than one camera, that are on before I fall asleep on the sofa, and the chance of winning an appeal on a blatantly stupid red card, and much better officials that would be less likely to give the red card in the first place.

There's some things I'm not jealous of:
Players that are seemingly overall much less passionate and much more out of touch with reality, &quotsupporters&quot that wouldn't dream of going to Cheltenham away or Southend at home in the Johnstone's Paint but will gladly turn up for Arsenal at home in the Premier League, £62 tickets etc

I don't quite see how you could be angry at Kompany (one of my favourite PL players for what it's worth) because he gets off, and not angry at the FA, who can't make it so that an alleged offence that's clearly not a red card can't be overturned.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:I don't quite see how you could be angry at Kompany (one of my favourite PL players for what it's worth) because he gets off, and not angry at the FA, who can't make it so that an alleged offence that's clearly not a red card can't be overturned.
TBF amershamwrighty's original post wasn't angry at Kompany and was taking the mickey out of the FA.
&quotamershamwrighty&quot wrote:I see Vincent Kompany's red card from Sunday has been overturned.

Hats off to the FA for applying a bit of common sense in favour of plucky, cash-strapped minnows Manchester City.

Oh - wait....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Hmm, so in my view which was five yards in front of me, the ref's view five yards away, and the linesman's view five yards away, there was violent conduct (elbow in the back). The coaching staff 40 yards away up the side of the pitch didn't see it. The video evidence wasn't clear. So the FA backed up the original decision.

I don't understand why people are getting so upset about this.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

I'm not that upset, Slappy - just a bit cynical. At least I got a bit of discussion going !

PS - I think Kompany is a terrific player.