CLIST

Anything yellow and blue
wightyellow
Puberty

CLIST

Post by wightyellow »

I am gutted he has gone. He was a good player for us, did very well for us and as a squad player, very useful.

Good luck to him from me anyway. :?
It's not the despair....it's the hope....
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Re: CLIST

Post by Joey's Toe »

What's the guy to to do to change Wilder's mind? He played excellently against Cardiff - passed the ball well, covered loads of ground and got a goal - and has performed well in every other appearance so far this season (including friendlies).

He's technically a good passer of the ball and works hard for the team. And (IMHO) we're a much more composed side when he's on the pitch.

Wilder brought him in, and Clist has played well. So why the sudden coolness towards him? He's shown he can play at this level - Hereford obviously think so too.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:What's the guy to to do to change Wilder's mind?
Indeed - what happens if he plays particularly well and earns rave reviews for the next two months? Would Wilder recall him and give him a run in the team? Would Clisty want and accept that in any case?

Could we then demand a fee for him?

The only virtue I can see in a loan spell is that if Wilder is subsequently prepared to give him a run if he 'proves himself'.

Alternatively, maybe this was the only manner in which he could be offloaded, there were no takers at all for him and he simply doesn't fit in Wilder's plans.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Interesting how people can see such different things in a match.

I thought that against Cardiff he showed exactly why he is not in CW's plans. I thought that he was off the pace and slow and his passing was poor. I guess that thee was some excuse as he has not played a lot so far.

As with Creighton, Green, Sandwith etc, CW is clearly trying to get a better type of player. So Duberry or Creighton, Bulman or McLaren, Leven or Clist?

Clist was a very decent Conference player who contributed significantly to our Promotion and all Oxford fans will thank him for that. However I suspect that he will never be in a team that pushes for Promotion from League 2.

So I am not at all surprised that he has moved on and my guess is thyat when he moves on permanently it will b to a Conference Team or one in the bottom half of League 2.
pottersrightboot
Brat

Post by pottersrightboot »

Football's a harsh business. Clist has been replaced by better players, simple as. A very definite weak link, despite his goal, in the Cardiff game.

No problem with Wilder's move here. Clist is a tidy player, who knows his limitations. Plus he was consistent. But ultimately not good enough for a promotion chasing squad, agree with the last poster.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Proof here why CW is a good football manager. Wightyyellow &amp Joey's Toe do you really think Clisty is good enough for a team at the top of Div 2 (where we all want to be)? No room for sentiment.
I've been a great fan of Clist and accept that he's rusty having not played much but can't see where he would fit in now. Perhaps very occassionally on the bench. NB: Only 5 subs now.
He looked way off the pace against Cardiff. I've never noticed that before. The Cardiff players were onto him like a flash whenever he got possession and he couldn't cope. Fair play for keeping going though and setting up and scoring the goal.
Aylesbury Rich
Brat

Post by Aylesbury Rich »

I would suggest that, fitness permitting, Clist would be behind Leven, McLaren, Hall, Payne, Heslop and potentially Whing in battling for 3 places in the centre of the park. He was a fine player for us, part of the promotion winning squad and deserves to be playing football regularly. I wish him the best of luck on his loan spell.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by joepoolman »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Bulman or McLaren
I still think out of all the (first team) players (I also think he shouldn't have let Fisher go) to be let go by Wilder, Bulman is the one mistake he's made. There were definitely games last year where we lacked steel in midfield and he would've provided that. McLaren is a very good player but isn't quite the same, he's not as high energy as Bulman, and can't bother the opposition midfield as much. Bulman didn't just cover the defence, he mad it tough for the opposition midfield and never let them have much time on the ball. As talented as I believe Payne (who's also strong in the tackle), Asa Hall and Heslop (who I think's brilliant), they can be out-muscled and run over, a midfield with Bulman in is never out-muscled or run over.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:What's the guy to to do to change Wilder's mind? He played excellently against Cardiff - passed the ball well, covered loads of ground and got a goal - and has performed well in every other appearance so far this season (including friendlies).

He's technically a good passer of the ball and works hard for the team. And (IMHO) we're a much more composed side when he's on the pitch.

Wilder brought him in, and Clist has played well. So why the sudden coolness towards him? He's shown he can play at this level - Hereford obviously think so too.
I don't think Wilder has changed his opinion of him it's just he's bought in a host of better midfielders. I like Clist (and Bulman, too) but I do think the midfielders that we now have are better than he is. He's not a bad player, nor has be worsened over his time at the club, it's just CW has bought in better players.

I would have though that was a good thing! We can't hoard players, you know.