Worth a read ....

Anything yellow and blue
neilw
Puberty

Worth a read ....

Post by neilw »

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/ ... ust_a.html

Must say, I concur with the Grebis / Beavon comment.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I'd have thought the circumstances of the Grebis signing made the comparison all the more clear.

Are you registered? You could always post the quote about not having seen him play per se. It really deserves to be more widely known.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

You would have thought, on face value, that signing an international with Champions League experience would be less of a gamble than signing a known boozer from the Southern League, wouldn't you?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotboris&quot wrote:You would have thought, on face value, that signing an international with Champions League experience would be less of a gamble than signing a known boozer from the Southern League, wouldn't you?
All depends on cost. Overall I would have thought that Beavon would have been significantly cheaper in wages and fees. But if he did not impress when he was here on trial not taking him on is a fair decision, although I seem to recall he was injured. Anyway we have Grebis and it is almost as if some people are writing him off before he has hardly had a chance to get started. Not that it was ever a Grebis v Beavon decision.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:I'd have thought the circumstances of the Grebis signing made the comparison all the more clear.

Are you registered? You could always post the quote about not having seen him play per se. It really deserves to be more widely known.
Or you could register and post it yourself!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I guess when I typed this:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:You all appear to be assuming there is some sort of rational strategy to the exits and entrances. Is there any evidence whatsoever of this, even from the very start? ....... There's no plan, no strategy, it's just whomever there's been a conversation with, whomever the favoured agent is ...
back in the &quotP Diddy Arrives&quot thread, I was expecting abuse not confirmation!!
neilw
Puberty

neilw

Post by neilw »

Fair point, if true about Beavon. However, whilst Champions league experience doesn't seem to be adding to our goal tally, Beavon's beer doesn't appear to be limiting his scoring. Early days, I know.

I thought the whole signing players without seeing them lark was long gone. It's so 90's, Redknapp, Boogers at West Ham, brown paper bag stuff. Whilst not questioning the legitimacy of the Grebis deal, surely it's high risk at best, and not a risk a highly experienced manager with numerous contacts in the game would need to take? Regardless of the outcome, which hopefully is a shed load of goals, It doesn't feel right, does it?

Also, why did Merry add &quotper se&quot on to the &quotwe haven't actually seen him play&quot statement?

Also, while I'm off on one, this whole Champions league experience nonsense. Why is it assumed that anyone who's made a sub appearance for some nothing club, in a minor country, in the qualifying rounds of the champions league is destined for great things? ....... Actually come to think about it, Anthrobus did go on to make a name for himself on the Dogging scene. :D
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:I was expecting abuse not confirmation!!
Try room 12
entirely disenchanted