New Signing

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: New Signing

Post by theox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
That is bloody weird - I bought him for Oxford in Championship Manager (sorry Swiss) two days ago!
Any chance you could pick up Fernando Torres before Monday?!?
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:He's played most of his career in League 1 and Championship so should really cope fine with the &quotstep-up&quot.
And Gus Caesar once played for Arsenal.

Jenny has just been released by a very poor Scottish club so for mine remains an unknown quantity. Ahead of Potter? Unlikely. Ahead of Deering and Cole? Clearly that's the thinking.
headless_pnub
Brat

Post by headless_pnub »

Don't get me wrong I have know idea what he'll be like and I'm not saying he'll be a success (who knows with wingers), but it's not like he's come from Corby Town, that's all.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:Don't get me wrong I have know idea what he'll be like and I'm not saying he'll be a success (who knows with wingers), but it's not like he's come from Corby Town, that's all.
Hey, leave Mat Murphy out of this. He was my childhood hero. Oh fuck!
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Re:

Post by Out of the gloom »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:Don't get me wrong I have know idea what he'll be like and I'm not saying he'll be a success (who knows with wingers), but it's not like he's come from Corby Town, that's all.
Nothing wrong with Corby players per se. Ex-Brackley forward Ben Mackey scored 14 goals in 28 games this season before breaking his leg.

Wouldn’t be so hasty to judge a player on the club they came from. Career record is another facet. For example, Austin came from Poole Town (small) but with 46 goals in about as many games (impressive). Think even we would have to acknowledge he was good value for S***don.

Jennision has been at some bigger clubs in higher leagues, but hasn’t stayed long with any. Hopefully our club will be different.

It could be argued that a winger who averages a goal every other game in over 200 appearances, even for a smaller club, represents a more stable choice.
headless_pnub
Brat

Re:

Post by headless_pnub »

&quotOut of the gloom&quot wrote:
Nothing wrong with Corby players per se. Ex-Brackley forward Ben Mackey scored 14 goals in 28 games this season before breaking his leg.

Wouldn’t be so hasty to judge a player on the club they came from. Career record is another facet. For example, Austin came from Poole Town (small) but with 46 goals in about as many games (impressive). Think even we would have to acknowledge he was good value for S***don.

Jennision has been at some bigger clubs in higher leagues, but hasn’t stayed long with any. Hopefully our club will be different.

It could be argued that a winger who averages a goal every other game in over 200 appearances, even for a smaller club, represents a more stable choice.
Agreed. My original comment was based on the assertion that we were a step up for him, which based on his carrer we're not. That's all.
He might turn out to be a superstar, he might be rubbish. I'll judge him on his time at Oxford though.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Re:

Post by BigCrompy »

&quotheadless_pnub&quot wrote:
&quotOut of the gloom&quot wrote:

Agreed. My original comment was based on the assertion that we were a step up for him, which based on his carrer we're not. That's all.
He might turn out to be a superstar, he might be rubbish. I'll judge him on his time at Oxford though.
St Johnstone Reserves to Dole Office Rovers to Oxford United is a step-up indeed.

The misery of seven years spent watching Scottish football leads me to the unarguable position of inferring that for players outside of the Auld Firm, playing ball in the back garden with a dog would be a step up. Seriously, poor examples to use I know but Dean Windass came to us out of choice (I know we were in Div 2 then) and even Degsy Townsley chose Oxford ahead of the Pitt from memory.

(Just to get all self-defeating for a moment, I was in fact DELIGHTED when we signed MacLean, but that was based mostly on his time at Home Park - that said I know a lot of Dandy Dons fans who'd wanted him to stay).

I hope for the best for our Jenny! But the Bristol City youth team is aeons ago let's hope that Wilder has picked a diamond from the rough (but let's also be clear that it IS rough, as anyone who's ever been forced to watch fitba' in Perth will know).
Swissbloke
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Swissbloke »

Nope, He's left us again.

FIFA regs.

Can't play for more than 2 clubs during a season.

Poor lad.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by slappy »

&quotSwissbloke&quot wrote:Nope, He's left us again.

FIFA regs.

Can't play for more than 2 clubs during a season.

Poor lad.
At least we didn't play him and get a points deduction!
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

This must be a reasonably new regulation.

I distinctly remember that back in the good old days it was possible to play for more - didn't Tony Cottee achieve the complete set of divisions played in in a single season? I've just read that Eric Nixon did the same.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotBigCrompy&quot wrote:This must be a reasonably new regulation.
Came into force in July '05 subsequently got amended in '08 because of the 'FIFA Two' case in Ireland (to take into account summer leagues)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Netlhorpe played against us for three clubs last season.
Why couldn't we sign Jennison on loan which I think gets round the rule?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

errrr.....because there is no club to loan him from?
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

All that good mannered debate wasted. We aren’t even going to get to see Jennison play.

Feel sorry for the lad. It seems a foolish rule. The principle of being cup-tied is well established, but 2 clubs per season is such an arbitrary number. Can’t see the logic of a rule for summer leagues, it is always summer somewhere in the world. Might as well be 24 one for each time zone.

Good luck to Hackney, he might need it. Left wingers at our club appear cursed.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotOut of the gloom&quot wrote:All that good mannered debate wasted. We aren’t even going to get to see Jennison play.

Feel sorry for the lad. It seems a foolish rule. The principle of being cup-tied is well established, but 2 clubs per season is such an arbitrary number. Can’t see the logic of a rule for summer leagues, it is always summer somewhere in the world. Might as well be 24 one for each time zone.

Good luck to Hackney, he might need it. Left wingers at our club appear cursed.
Agreed and it's especially silly in this case when Jennison only played for Dundee United for 15 minutes this season, coming on as a sub.