Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Pubs tomorrow

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

Anyone got a recommendation?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

The best pub in Hereford is apparently The Barrels, 69 St. Owen Street, HR1 2JQ and it's only 3 mins walk from the ground.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Plenty of real ale hostelries in Hereford.

The Oxford Arms is right next to Edgar Street - not sure if its any good.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The bar on the train that goes directly to Hereford will be my first stop!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Are you getting on at Hanborough, snake ?
womble
Brat

Post by womble »

a wetherspoons the kings fee in commercial road ,selling my favourite
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Are you getting on at Hanborough, snake ?
Yep, the 11:31 direct to Hereford.

And you are?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I am being chauffeured by Sackcloth Ox.

(Neil)
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotboris&quot wrote:The best pub in Hereford is apparently The Barrels, 69 St. Owen Street, HR1 2JQ and it's only 3 mins walk from the ground.
Yes, according to the 2011 (yes 2011) Good Beer Guide it is. I'll be in there &amp the only other GBG listed pub in Herefrod - Lichfield Vaults, 11 Church St, HR1 2LR - which is also close by.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I'll be at a wedding at some absurdly expensive hotel in Warwickshire where, with the exception of a few family members, I won't know anyone. Hoo-bloody-ray!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I am being chauffeured by Sackcloth Ox.

(Neil)
Really sorry Mr. C as I didn’t recognise your handle.

Anyway, the train was great going up there. It was one of those massive and posh First Great Western revamped things and at just £17.20 return from Hanborough (plus a £10 upgrade to 1st class that included free drinks it was a bargain). And a direct service with no changes.

However, coming back it was a long slow crappy Turbo service in the company of about 150 #oufc fans who were well on the piss. I felt a bit sorry on the way home for the non-football-celebrating human beings but it’s been a while since I was effectively allowed to smoke inside a train, or indeed returned from a victory away in the Football League. The police and other station staff were really hilarious when we had all had to change at Great Malvern but on reflection then maybe next time if Tim ever makes me an offer of being my chauffeur I’ll seriously think about it.*

////

The last time I went to Hereford was about a quarter of a Century ago, and to be honest it still looks the same, only a bit older. On the plus side if They can afford to put in temporary seating to produce additional revenue then it clearly remains an option for Us at the car park end should we get a really big (or key) game anytime in the future, and give the whole of the North Stand to home supporters while the away fans have poor acoustics and may get wet etc. Leyton Orient springs to mind..

Up The Football League We Go :-)

* = But not Crewe as I'm doing that by train as well.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: On the plus side if They can afford to put in temporary seating to produce additional revenue then it clearly remains an option for Us at the car park end should we get a really big (or key) game anytime in the future, and give the whole of the North Stand to home supporters while the away fans have poor acoustics and may get wet etc. Leyton Orient springs to mind..

Up The Football League We Go :-)

* = But not Crewe as I'm doing that by train as well.
The different circumstances at the KasStad mean that it would be a lot more difficult to put up temporary stands. Firstly we don't have all the required infrastructure for turnstiles, toilets, refreshments, external walls, pitchside walls, segregation, etc. at the open end whereas Hereford have that all in place. Secondly we'd need planning permission of some sort to remove the car parking spaces and thirdly and perhaps most importantly Oxford United don't own the ground so it would be a far more complicated and less profitable proposition.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:The best pub in Hereford is apparently The Barrels, 69 St. Owen Street, HR1 2JQ and it's only 3 mins walk from the ground.
According to my iphone it was an 18 minute walk so I opted for the Heart of Oak at the top end of Edgar Street, a 3 minute walk away.
The OXman Cometh
Brat

Re:

Post by The OXman Cometh »

You are Usain Bolt and I claim my prize!!!!
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I was basing it on info I'd received from someone else. Come on, I'm a historian you don't think I actually check my sources do you?