How many hiccups make a derailment?

Anything yellow and blue
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by tomoufc »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quottomoufc&quot wrote:This is all behind us now, however. Like Dereem said in '97 'the only way is up!'.

(Tom goes off to think again about his use of analogies.)
You probably should. D:Ream sang &quotThings can only get better&quot. It was Yazz who sang the classic &quotThe only way is up&quot!
Oh yeah!
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:This forum is a scream sometimes! Never short of a bit of bickering.

Agree with comments that the season is not won or lost in November or March. Going fowards, I reckon that CW will have learned by some mistakes that he inevitably made. Hopefully this will mean that not only did we go up, but he will be a better manager through going through the poor spell that we went through.
On the BBC Radio Oxford documentary, CW admitted he had brought in too many players who were not up to it - a big thing for him to say (made easier by the fact we went up of course), I would imagine he has learned from that experience and is now looking to bring in good, hungry players who can keep us up/finish mid table/get into the play-offs/win the league next year. Certainly the players he has signed thus far fit the bill (with the possible exception of the Luton lad about who I have some serious misgivings).
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Well, I could hardly deny that I was in the &quotwe're blowing this&quot camp at that time, too. Which we were, in large measure. As per JoeyB's post, Wilder has suggested that some of the players he bought in weren't up to it and, to an extent, it was the return to the group that had got us to the top and the discarding of all those loanees that marked the turnaround and the run through the play-offs.

As for Wright/Foster, while I still don't think that Wright is the god-like defender some would have him to be, I am happy to be proved wrong on that one and Foster's departure from Mansfield gives credence to the off-the-field disruption stuff. Creighton back in for Day, though made a huge difference.

If would be good if Wilder has learned and matured through this process, too, and doesn't simply pick on preconceptions and past connections.
Heslop ... had loan spells at Kidderminster and Grimsby as well as working with Chris Wilder on loan at Halifax ...
deanwindass
Puberty

Post by deanwindass »

Asa Hall? Why the reservations?
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:Asa Hall? Why the reservations?
Speaking to a few Luton fans, he seems a bit lazy and a bit of a drifter. More of a gut instinct than anything else, and of course I'll give him my full support until he proves me right or wrong.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I've just posted this on a nother thread, taken from Wiki.

&quotThe next season, Hall was again a regular player, though the arrival of Simon Heslop in March saw him demoted to the bench by new Luton manager Richard Money&quot.

I wonder if they get on together?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Cruel.
Not at all, because at the time that’s exactly what I thought when Terry posted up his thoughts on March 10th, but as it happens we made it against the odds.

And hey, “Dean Windass
Sackcloth Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Sackcloth Ox »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:
&quotdeanwindass&quot wrote:Asa Hall? Why the reservations?
Speaking to a few Luton fans, he seems a bit lazy and a bit of a drifter. More of a gut instinct than anything else, and of course I'll give him my full support until he proves me right or wrong.

Very noble of you, why don't you actually let him have the benefit of getting on the pitch!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Cruel.
Not at all, because at the time that’s exactly what I thought when Terry posted up his thoughts on March 10th, but as it happens we made it against the odds.

And hey, “Dean Windass