Tamworth

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

Tamworth

Post by Mally »

What on earht was Jim Smith up to in the first half with the team selection? Slabber and Duffy are far too similar (and on the first half performance equally as bad). Pettifer has been our most consistant player so I can't understand why he was dropped.

I know I'm not alone in thinking Anaclet is the player most in need of a rest. Why not play Yemi in his position - It's not as if Analclet does a lot of defending.

The second half was a lot better once Pettifer and Yemi came on. Some midfield quality and some badly needed pace up front. I don't know how it was split but the vast majoirty of the 8 corners and 13 shots on target must have been in front of the East Stand.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Well if you want a class finisher I recommend a bloke called Ruby Walsh.

I received three text messages from different fans at half time they were all identical '0-0,bloody useless'. So I was happy to be missing it.

Listened to the last 30 minutes and the equaliser seemed to give us a kick up the arse.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Agree with Mally’s assessment. I think at home against teams that are going to get everyone behind the ball and try and hit us on the break we should only play 2 centre halves. We could have started with Yemi as a winger and then Slabber and Duffy might have had something to have fed off. As it was they were just getting the ball whack towards them from the back or crosses from fairly deep from Eddie. We got nowhere near the by line from where crosses are much more effective.
First half we were nearly as poor as last week although I though during the first few minutes that Tamworth looked as though they were capable of folding. Trouble was we were not set up in such a way to be able to bring this about. And they became more confident when this became obvious and then broke with purpose a couple of times and caused us a few scares.
The subs made all the difference but it was not until they equalised that we really started playing. Yemi’s pace really unsettled them and he worked well with Pettifer and Eddie. Pettifer’s energy is such as asset and to have been dropped after one slightly below par performance is rather unfair. We could have had 2 or 3 more but for heroic blocking by the Tamworth rearguard. I would like to see the penalty incident again before giving judgment as to whether it should have been given or not. There were plenty of other appeals that were turned down before then though. I can understand Cooper being unhappy at having lost but his outburst towards the ref was way ott. I didn’t think Tamworth were dirty but timewasters yes so in a way they got their just deserts. The goalie was a prime example but it is within the laws of the game that he doesn’t have to clear the ball if it is not in his hands until he is good and ready. This meant that Duffy had to run 30 yards on a couple of occasions to encourage him to do so. Shame that this was the only running he did all afternoon but I can forgive him that if he continues to find the back of the net from the penalty spot, even if it was with a little help from the post this time.

One last point – did anyone else notice the Tamworth player who ran back from having a word with the goalie digging his heel into the penalty spot. I’ve never seen that before but football is riddled with gamesmanship now.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Hey, winning the Conference title is easy – all that needs to happen is that a little, tiny, tin pot, teeny-weeny club called Dagenham &amp Redbridge lose a few more games than they have been recently. By the way, does anyone know what their wage bill is capped at compared to ours? Or Tamworth’s?

/

I was quite impressed by the Lambs at times today, and in partic their centre forward (Burton, who reminded me of Lee Trundle in his early days with Wrexham) and also their No. 29 (Atieno). Watching this non-league stuff on a week to week basis is dead interesting as most of the teams we play have one or two gems just waiting to be picked up so long as rival clubs are prepared to offer competitive wages over a decent period of time. On that basis I’m quite optimistic that Mr. Smith and Mr. Merry will pick up some of those uncut jewels come the January transfer deadline and hopefully start to build for proper League football next year. In fact, the flashing of the cash in January will be a much better pointer to the medium term future of Oxford United as anything that gets endorsed on the official website from media friendly Nick &amp Mates (whoever they are) with regard to the ground purchase.

/

I thought Anaclet had one of his best games for us today (as he’s been poor recently) but I do worry a bit about the Yemi thing. It really can’t be good for the dressing room when an outsider like Slabber makes the starting line-up ahead of him and Bash.

For me the jury is still out on Duffy - he’s top of the goal scoring charts if you include penalties (which of course we do) and that’s a real test of 66 year old Jim Smith’s people management skills. IMHO, he should be kept, even if he is Welsh.
Last edited by Snake on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSnake&quot wrote: I thought Anaclet had one of his best games for us today (as he’s been poor recently) .
Eddie was still running here there and everywhere right up to the end, even if his legs did turn to jelly a couple of times. He got through a lot of work and his confidence seemed to be slowly returning. A goal would do him the world of good.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:Well if you want a class finisher I recommend a bloke called Ruby Walsh.

I received three text messages from different fans at half time they were all identical '0-0,bloody useless'. So I was happy to be missing it.

Listened to the last 30 minutes and the equaliser seemed to give us a kick up the arse.
Did you win Dave? I'm hoping to have a great day tomorrow. especially now the wife had said she will drive.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

:lol:

As a conservative punter who is happy to follow favourites more often than not, yes I had a cracking day (6 out of 7 favourites came in).

Having a profit in you pocket before last race and getting 7/2 on Afsoun.

One of the happiest places to be in sport, stood at the back of a 100 yard queue, all waiting to be paid out by a grumpy bookmaker.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: I thought Anaclet had one of his best games for us today (as he’s been poor recently) .
Eddie was still running here there and everywhere right up to the end, even if his legs did turn to jelly a couple of times. He got through a lot of work and his confidence seemed to be slowly returning. A goal would do him the world of good.
Eddie was my man of the match yesterday. I reckon that if Yemi hadn't tried to shoot at the end of that excellent run, but had pulled the ball back to the unmarked Eddie on the penalty spot, the lad might even have had a shot on goal. Or possibly he'd have dithered a while and tried to play in Duffy, who was alongside him, and the chance would be gone, but hey... nobody's perfect.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Eddie was my man of the match yesterday.
He certainly had a better second half than the first but even then he takes so long to make a decision that it means whatever advantage we might have had in the box is long gone when he actually gets a cross in or more likely lays the ball off for somebody else to get the cross in from a worse angle.

As Baboo has already mentioned I can't remember him geting a cross in from the by-line. All too often crosses from 20 yards out are easily collected by the keeper or go out for a goal kick. Crossing from the by line makes it much more difficult for the keeper and also keeps the ball in play.

As for man of the match Pettefer did more in 45 minutes than most did in 90 so he gets my vote.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote:Well if you want a class finisher I recommend a bloke called Ruby Walsh.

Did you win Dave? I'm hoping to have a great day tomorrow. especially now the wife had said she will drive.
After seeing the results I am sure you had a fantastic day A-Ro :wink:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Ancient Colin »

&quotboris&quot wrote: Eddie was my man of the match yesterday.
As a card carrying Slow Eddie critic, I agree he did much better in the second half, and was very willing to make himself available, he worked hard and did some good things. Even then, his defensive positioning and awareness can be a problem (there were a number of times where Tamworth had a free player wide left and Eddie was just dawdling around leaving one of the CBs to be pulled wide. But he was pretty woeful in the first half and his unwillingness to run down the line off the ball is becoming pathological. Also, just an impression, but maybe others can look for this - one of the possible reasons he has a problem going outside players with the ball is that he isn't actually that comfortable with it at his feet. I know that sounds daft, given the cuts inside and so on, but when he dribbles, it seems like he is watching the ball, not what's around ...

The defence at corners and free kicks. Is that supposed to be a zonal defence? If it is, someone had better explain it to the players a little more clearly. It looked more like an exhibit at the National Sculpture Museum.

Hargreaves and Hutch are too similar (and non-creative) to play together in a three man midfield ...

Possibly a little harsh on Slobber and Duffy (why is Jim trying to build a squad of forwards that sound like the school roll call from the Beano?) as presumably they've hardly trained together, never mind played together, so it's understandable that they weren't reaching each other's flicks. We won a lot more ball up top than of late. But Yemi's pace (plus Pettefer's reading of the game) made the difference.

Hey, another three points. Who wouldn't take that?
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I agree with most of the above really, Peteffer really should have started - unless he was carrying an injury (and he didn't play like he was) then he would be the first player in the team if it was down to me. Anaclet was certainly improved from the Gravesend performance, as were all of the team. I also spotted that after about 30 minutes we changed formation to 4-4-2, with Snaclet at right wing, Quinn at right back and Burgess generally going wherever he wanted. I thought it suited us better against a side only playing 1 man up front.

After the last 2 defeats I was impressed with the reaction after Tamworth scored, no panic but plenty of pressure (previous OUFC teams would have gone missing) - I thought a penalty was inevitable, Tamworth were tiring and throwing themselves around in the penalty area in desperation.

20 games 47 points is an incredible record so far, beyond what anyone would have expected. If we maintain that until the end of the season then we will definitely win the league.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

agree with most of all that - pettefer was man of the match, anaclet had a much better game.

however, i did think that the first half was particularly disappointing in the sense that tamworth looked extremely nervous, and were clearly here to defend a point - i wondered if that was why cooper had been talking about their chances, to try and instill some confidence. they sat back for most of the half, and dealt with a lot of our attacks in the way i defend - stick it out, foot through, ANYWHERE!

i worried that having gone in without conceding at half time tamworth would find some confidence to see the game out, especially if united were suffering some self-doubt after two defeats.

well, they weren't, smith's changes worked, and it was a spirited second half from oxford. but i think if oxford had been on their game in the first half, we would've been looking at a healthy scoreline and a dispirited tamworth team in the second half, as the signs were there that it could've been a mauling.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Having seen the highlights on BBC Oxford I think the Tamworth manager may have had a point about the penalty. The defender clearly played the ball a split second before Pettefer arrived and collided with him. Unfortunately the highlights package didn't show the two earlier penalty claims so it's hard to judge whether we were &quotowed&quot a decision anyway.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

The penalty was a shocker watching the tv.

And nobody mentioned Day's was a deflected shot.

Jim really must worry about the shocking defending. Tamwoth's goal was worse than Southport's.