Administration

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Anybody got any idea who the biggest community owned club in the world is? Clue, they are in the Champions League semi- final.
True, Barcelona is run by over 150,000 members, but Ebbsfleet is owned and run by 35,000 members and a fat lot of good that has done for them!

I think you can take democracy too far sometimes – just take a look at the performance of most local councils that continually change their political make-up every couple of years.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
Anybody got any idea who the biggest community owned club in the world is? Clue, they are in the Chamipons League semi- final.
Agreed about Barca, but they are unique. You might be interested in getting hold of a copy of this book (if it's out yet) which examines how Barca's financial model works and whether a community ownership model is sustainable in football.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
Anybody got any idea who the biggest community owned club in the world is? Clue, they are in the Chamipons League semi- final.
Agreed about Barca, but they are unique. You might be interested in getting hold of a copy of this book (if it's out yet) which examines how Barca's financial model works and whether a community ownership model is sustainable in football.
Isn't any club listed on the stock market effectively community owned?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Isn’t any club owned by its shareholders?

At one time Headington United/Oxford United must have been run in a democratic way, so why was it ever allowed to pass that one person or company owned 89% of the shares and therefore the final say in everything? Who exactly did that, and when? :?:
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

There's a book coming out soon that might contain that information!
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Anybody got any idea who the biggest community owned club in the world is? Clue, they are in the Champions League semi- final.
True, Barcelona is run by over 150,000 members, but Ebbsfleet is owned and run by 35,000 members and a fat lot of good that has done for them!

I think you can take democracy too far sometimes – just take a look at the performance of most local councils that continually change their political make-up every couple of years.
Ebbsfleet ownership structure is an artifice though. You don't 'support' Ebbsfleet do you Snake? It's a bit of online fun , not dyed in the wool commitment.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:
Isn't any club listed on the stock market effectively community owned?
No.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Isn’t any club owned by its shareholders?

At one time Headington United/Oxford United must have been run in a democratic way, so why was it ever allowed to pass that one person or company owned 89% of the shares and therefore the final say in everything? Who exactly did that, and when? :?:
I'm sure Martin's book will shed some very interesting light on that discussion point.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotboris&quot wrote:There's a book coming out soon that might contain that information!
Soon as in October? C'mon, we'll all (the people on here) buy your book anyway, so what's the answer - who gave away the club?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Terry - Brentford are around £8m in debt last time I looked.

Notts County are in heaps of trouble off the pitch apparently
Presumably you have accounts accounts to support these statements. If so a copy would be appreciated.
Go to the Bees United website. You can download the financials
for Brentford FC there for 2007 and beyond.
Thanks for the link, but far from showing your case, the accounts clearly show Brentford FC are in rude health.

Rather than £8m debts that you suggested, Brentford had net assets of £1.8m in May 2007, which was just over a year after their Trust took over. They operated on a more or less break even basis, and now they have just been promoted as champions.

I would suggest that is pretty much a success story for a Trust run club.

Have you got a similar evidence for the other Trust run club that you quoted?

Trust run clubs can and do operate at least as well as sugar daddy clubs. As I said earlier, it is about the quality of the people in prominent positions, not the name on the share certificates, which determines how well a club is run.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

According to the NLP Chester are on the brink.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

And there are 12 clubs about to become embroiled in match fixing allegations. Maybe they should just start a separate division for those clubs starting on zero points!
keyboard warrior
Baby

Re:

Post by keyboard warrior »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:It strikes me that Stockport have got away with this as the 10 point penalty makes no difference to their promotion or relegation prospects.
I may be wrong with this, but as they were not relegated, the points deduction will be next season.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:It strikes me that Stockport have got away with this as the 10 point penalty makes no difference to their promotion or relegation prospects.
I may be wrong with this, but as they were not relegated, the points deduction will be next season.
Check out the League I table - 10 points deducted this season.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotkeyboard warrior&quot wrote:
Check out the League I table - 10 points deducted this season.
Wasn't there supposed to be a cut off date after which if it didn't affect promotion/ relegation the deduction went to the following season?

This is very odd.