Reasons to be cheerful

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Reasons to be cheerful

Post by Boogie »

1. First away win of the season.
2. Constable and Guy developing their renewed their strike partnership.
3. Yemi on the bench.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Headline: Constable nicks a couple as Guy supports.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

And no other team are pulling too far ahead, now if we could just win the next couple......amazing what one win can do for optimism
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Not just a win, but a good performance too. We were the better team for most of the game, a lapse of concentration for their goal, but coming back from behind to win, away, is a big boost.

Still only four points clear of the drop, and 5 points shy of the playoffs, so plenty of work to do.

Also, doesn't it make a difference having a decent ref, despite him bottling sending off their keeper. One more reason to get promoted.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

At this early stage it would appear that no team is capable of bossing the league. Salisbury at the top have lost 2 home games.

Burton perhaps look fairly consistent but I can't see them winning the league.

Looking at the results last night they were fairly unpredictable.

We just need to carry on winning or drawing for a while and we will soon be in the the mix.

As you can tell, I still have good vibes about this season, despite the change in formation.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotBoogie&quot wrote:At this early stage it would appear that no team is capable of bossing the league. Salisbury at the top have lost 2 home games.

Burton perhaps look fairly consistent but I can't see them winning the league.

Looking at the results last night they were fairly unpredictable.

We just need to carry on winning or drawing for a while and we will soon be in the the mix.

As you can tell, I still have good vibes about this season, despite the change in formation.
So do I. Injuries and suspensions are the main threat on pitch. Off pitch?
Hmm.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Injuries and suspensions are the main threat on pitch.
Well, that and the other teams.
entirely disenchanted
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Will you lot stop all this dangerous optimism NOW. Please. You know what happened last time.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Injuries and suspensions are the main threat on pitch.
Well, that and the other teams.
Don't agree. We've gambled with a small squad. If they all remain relatively fit we have a very good chance this season.

I forgot to mention 'discipline' as well. Lack of which is self-inflicted I'd say rather than down to 'other teams'.

Hells bells, last night's game was the first time in 4 away games that we'd kept 11 on the pitch all game.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I'm not convinced that we should be getting carried away on the back of beating Northwich Victoria by the odd goal.

I do agree that this year the division is very mixed with most teams being perfectly routinely capable of beating everyone else.

When we go unbeaten for 10 or 12 games, then my optimism might rise for on the field issues.

As AO says, off the field is another matter, and we are in dire need of off the field leadership.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

If the other teams are not the major threat, presumably I should take it as read that we have substantially the best first XI in the division? I can think of no other interpretation of the claim, but the proposal does strike me as an ambitious one.
entirely disenchanted
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Especially given our position in the table.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:Especially given our position in the table.
7 games in, the table means jack. Even the top team (Salisbury) to date has lost 2 of their games!
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Losing out of form Foster to suspension to be replaced by solid citizen Osbourne for a month may prove a blessing in disguise?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Well, the table does currently indicate we've lost 3 of out first 7 games, and won only two. Thus I'd conclude it's a bit arrogant to suppose we have by far the best first team squad.

Sigh... one win and people go mad. A one goal win against a side doing rather badly. (Remember what happened after that Alty game last season, folks...)

I'm not saying we won't still do well. (It is indeed still early days.)I just can't take the first seven games as evidence that we will.